Multiple/Simultaneous Voices, Each With Different BPM's?

One of my approaches to creating, for example, 'percussive textures'...is to combine different/simultaneous bpms. 

One way...rendering separate audio files at bpm's say at 53 bpm, 59 bpm, 61 bpm, 67 bpm, 71 bpm...then mixing those individual audio stems together. Or another approach, with a sequencer environment like 'Numerology Pro'...creating individual 'sequencer stacks', each having their own separate sequencer clock set to different bpm, to create realtime MIDI/audio version of example above (or other prime number combinations like 'Prime Pillars' and prime spirals).

Note, this is different from basic polyrhythms, which are still within the fractional metrics of regular divisive system (probably Elliot Carter had some method/terms closer to what I described above?)

Given my current relative inexperience in the Opumodus language...could the more experienced among you perhaps suggest any approach/techniques to consider in order to generate the same final result of having different bpms for different individual voices playing SIMULTANEOUSLY in final output?

Thanks in advance

polytempo-discussion in OM (years ago)

https://opusmodus.com/forums/topic/353-how-to-write-a-polytempo-score/?tab=comments#comment-910

---

technology for live realisation (how to conduct it)  by real musicians -> by polytempo-network:

https://www.facebook.com/Philippe-Kocher-Composer-31442199213/

http://philippekocher.ch/#109

http://polytempo.zhdk.ch

i used this technology already for 2 pieces... also for my next work.

greetings

andré

Thanks for the replies all ;-)!

First, it looks like the term I was searching for (via Elliot Carter) is 'Multitemporal'.

-Stephane, thanks for video...will be useful for related explorations, but downside to this approach are most hosts I am using treat 'instruments' (i.e. Logic armed/selected tracks) as single core resources so the available cpu quickly dwindles in multi-channel live VI set-ups. In his example, the Vienna host may have ability to circumvent those issues since it is a server/plug-in network...though on a single computer not sure if there is that advantage. In reference to individual instrument assignments to cores...I do know Logic does NOT use more than single cores when bussing in via live/armed instrument tracks, and Numerology is currently ONLY single core for plug-ins.

-andre, thanks for links...the polytempo information seems solely for performance/conducting scenarios with separate computers and players yes?

-Janusz said 'I don't think the midi can't deal with multi tempo events - separate tempo events for each instrument."

Janusz, Five12's 'Numerology Pro 4' does record/save MIDI generated by multiple, independently clocked 'stacks' as I alluded to earlier...by having a modular 'stack' architecture where each stack records a separate out, though all these individually clocked stacks can be bussed together and combined into one recorded file so in that circumstance it does appear possible at the technical level? Maybe it's the real time nature of Numerology Pro that makes that possible (there is no 'offline' bounce/process to saving MIDI in Numerology, it is all recorded live)?

The other option I had previously explored was simple multiplication of MIDI data in Logic...unfortunately the rounding errors with Logic transforms math didn't seem to achieve same result  if I remember right because of 'rounding...maybe I needed to use a different base).

It appears my 'discreet' way of simply doing separate bouncing of audio stems remains most direct, otherwise if I need to hear the combination in realtime I will continue to use the Numerology approach and in near future set up a 'Live Coding' situation like example to find out  it's strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks everyone, and  please let me know if you think of any other ideas or supplemental references relating to this core idea :)

Thanks Stephane ;-) Unfortunately, the version of Logic X for my system, 10.9.5, has proven to be unstable for my uses so I continue to use Logic Pro 9.1.8 :(

I'll keep that in mind though for that day when I HAVE TO upgrade :)

Did you see my workaround in the post mentioned by André (to lock the smpte of the track and then change the overall tempo in Logic)?

Now I'am working with Reaper (https://www.reaper.fm/ )

which is worth to checkout, very cheap and unbelievable powerful (a bit of a learning curve I admit), no problem to change the tempo of every midi file seperatly..

best  ole

13 hours ago, o_e said:

Did you see my workaround in the post mentioned by André (to lock the smpte of the track and then change the overall tempo in Logic)?

Now I'am working with Reaper (https://www.reaper.fm/ )

which is worth to checkout, very cheap and unbelievable powerful (a bit of a learning curve I admit), no problem to change the tempo of every midi file seperatly..

best  ole

No, I missed that, thank you for pointing it out...will check it out in morning. That's also an interesting feature concerning Reaper, didn't know it could do that so will have to look at that also..thanks ole :)