Hello,

I am trying to find different ways of importing partials/frames data into Opusmodus. I am currently trying to use spectral analysis to analyzes certain music/audio phenomena I haven't really seen analyzed before to adapt into my own composition process. The sounds are generally archival or things I have synthesized on the computer through software myself (in .wav format), and are usually between 1 - 5 seconds in length. Is this a good length of time to analyze the spectral data of sounds? 

I just wanted to understand the following information about spectral tools within Opusmodus. I really would appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

1. Is it only Spear that we can use for spectral analysis? Is something like Audiosculpt also useable?

2. Looking at Spear, when we explore the data, which of the following export formats do we use: 1. Text - Resampled Frames, 2. Text - Partials, 3. SDIF 1 TRC - Resampled Frames, 4. SDIF 1 TRC - Exact Interpolated, or 5. SDIF RBEP?

3. Once I have the data in the correct format, I think I want to create a library of the datasets I important so that I can reinterpret them in the future. If I want to use the "get-tuning" function, for example, and then mapping it across certain instruments within my planned orchestration. What would be an effective way of doing this?

One of my main challenges is finding a way to keep all my data organized every time I want to use Opusmodus for a new project. I still find myself using Opusmodus in little blocks as I compose, and I hope to eventually get to the point in which I can compose entire pieces using only Opusmodus. 

I really appreciate your help.

Export the two data files from SPEAR app:

Text - Resampled Frames

Text - Partials

and save them in the ~/Opusmodus/Spectral Data/Data folder.

Next:

Import the SPEAR frames and partials data into Opusmodus format.

Frames:

(import-spectral-spear :frames "tbn cs3 frames"  ;<- imported file
                               "tbn-cs3-frames") ;<- output file name

Partials:

(import-spectral-spear :partials "tbn cs3 partials"
                                 "tbn-cs3-partials")

The last step is to create a library file for an easy access to all the partials.

To do that we need to load the file with the LOAD function (the path should point to the file in the Data folder):

(load "~/Opusmodus/Spectral Data/Partials/tbn-cs3-partials.opmo")
(load "~/Opusmodus/Spectral Data/Partials/tbn-cs3-frames.opmo")

or alternatively you can open the file in the Assistant panel and evaluate.

And finally we create the library:

The expression below will create a folder Partials with inside a library file tbn-cs3-frames.opmo.

(create-library 'tbn-cs3-frames 'frames 'p tbn-cs3-frames
                :file "Partials/tbn-cs3-frames")

(create-library 'tbn-cs3-partials 'partials 'p tbn-cs3-partials
                :file "Partials/tbn-cs3-partials")

Having followed the stages as above a new library with the name tbn-cs3-frames.opmo is created in the Def-Library folder. 

• 2 years later...

Curious about the file formats for import. I'm seeing "txt" but I'm wondering if formats that are output by, say Python or R can be used. 
Just tested and was able to load a .csv but not a .feather or .rds file.

Pulling in a dataframe and building a composition off that data will be an interesting experiment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 7:30 PM, o_e said:

Can you give a small example of how to use the spectral data, how to rebuild a certain sound like the trombone with a piano sound?

Thanks!

To bump my own request, am I the only one who whishes some more simple examples, to understand the 'spectral data '-thing better?

On 9/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, Stephane Boussuge said:

I wrote this example for one of my student few years ago.

I don't know if it could help you but just in case....

Dear Stéphane,

Thank you! That helped a little, still not sure what is the difference between partials and frames. I saw that it is possible the resynthesize a sound with CLM, an example would be very helpful.
Also I would like to know if its only possible to get tempered pitches out of spectral data, don't know if OM is capable of microtonal MIDI generally (which is a very tricky special beast I think)..?
Thanks anyway& all the best

ole