Need more open windows/frames

The Opusmodus editor allows to have a number of "windows" open next to each other, but not enough for me. With Emacs I have commonly 3-4 frames with code open next to each other, in addition to the documentation, output viewers etc. (nice to have multiple screens :)

Any chance to do the same and open 3-4 files from the current project/workspace side by side?

EDIT: Note that I can open additional files, but only if they are not part of the current project/workspace -- going beyond that restriction would help. 

Thanks!

Best,

Torsten

The trick for opening a file in a separate window seems simply to not have opened that file in the project already. The remaining difficulty is that a separate source window evaluates with its own listener, which is useful in some situations, but I would think the more common use case is using the same listener by all windows.

Best,

Torsten

Yes, I saw that I can open in the Top Assistant etc. and I used that already, but then there is no room for the documentation anymore, and I still have only two source "windows" next to each other. The problem is that the workspace layout overall is fixed in the number of available "windows".

To be clear, I understand that fixed arrangement of "windows" tends to be more convenient that a number of unrelated free-floating windows, but in a programming IDE you often want to have many source files and multiple views of the same file available for coding. Other programming environments therefore commonly allow to split windows an arbitrary number horizontally or vertically.

Even Hemlock itself, on which AFAIK the Opusmodus IDE is based, allows to split windows:

Split Window (bound to C-x 2) [Command]

This command splits the current window roughly in half to make two windows. If the current window is too small to be split, the command signals a user error.

That command has seemingly been disabled in the Opusmodus IDE. Any chance to bring it back?

Best,

Torsten

It is not that simple. The panels working quite a different way (display).

I use Opusmodus for developing Opusmodus and have no problem with it. I open all the source files I need in the assistant panel then if I need a specific file which is not on the top I use the file selector form the top left corner.

I agree, to add multi screen support to Opusmodus would help.

> It is not that simple.

I understand. Fair enough.

> I agree, to add multi screen support to Opusmodus would help.

That would be nice, but should perhaps not be a priority :)  Anyway, I am sure many users use more than one screen.

> I use Opusmodus for developing Opusmodus and have no problem with it.

Perhaps you should try having multiple monitors and see after a week or so whether you ever want to move back :)   For computer programmers, multiple large monitors are a standard, because it saves time = money.  See, e.g.,

http://codingsupply.com/best-monitor-for-programming/

http://www.slothygeek.com/best-monitor-for-programming/

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-type-of-computer-monitor-for-coding

http://tiamat.tsotech.com/4k-is-for-programmers

BTW: In contrast to what they say in these reviews, programmers beyond a certain age (e.g., me) should better choose larger monitors that specified, e.g., 32 inch for a 2560 x 1440 resolution. An turning at least one monitor into portrait mode is useful for seeing more of long code files :)

Best,

Torsten