Structure Strategies (Micro and Macro)

Dear all,

I am curious to know whether any of you have any tips or strategies for approaching 'structure' in composition using Opusmodus. I often find that one of the challenges I face while using Opusmodus is that I tend to think in terms of the general structure of the composition and its pertaining restraints. I find it very difficult to think about the microstructures within a piece, mainly I think because I don't know enough about how to approach the idea of microstructures.

By this, I mean I generally approach composition within Opusmodus by generating pitches/lengths/articulations, and separating them in terms of sections. However, within each section, I find that I wish I knew of strategies/ideas to generate even more complexity at a very subtle/micro level. 

Again, I think my main challenge in reaching the next stage in my use of Opusmodus is developing a more clear strategy in regards to structure. I'm very curious to hear how others solve this issue.

Hi,

for such things, i tend to use do-timeline with time resolution parameter (:time keyword).

i use also find-bar, replace-bar etc... collection of function.

Actually we are in the process of changing many functions in Opusmodus for giving total access of individual omn events.

For example, you can now use gen-divide at the event level and it is very useful for micro control.

(gen-divide
 '(2 4 2)
 '(s c4 ppp d4 pp -q s e4 p f4 mp g4 mf a4 f b4 ff c5 fff))
=> ((s c4 ppp d4 pp) (-q s e4 p f4 mp g4 mf)
    (s a4 f b4 ff) (s c5 fff))

Some over example of omn processing:

GEN-TRIM
(gen-trim 12 '(q c4 mf e d4 e4))
=> (q c4 mf e d4 e4 q c4 e d4 e4 q c4 e d4 e4 q c4 e d4 e4)

(gen-trim '(12 4) '((e c4 mf d4) (e e4 mf s f4 g4)))
=> ((e c4 mf d4 c4 d4 c4 d4 c4 d4 c4 d4 c4 d4)
    (e e4 mf s f4 g4 e e4))

GEN-REPEAT
(gen-repeat 3 '(s c4 q d4))
=> (s c4 mf q d4 s c4 q d4 s c4 q d4)

(gen-repeat '(3) '(q c4 d4 e4 f4 g4 a4))
=> ((q c4 mf c4 c4) (q d4 mf d4 d4) (q e4 mf e4 e4)
    (q f4 mf f4 f4) (q g4 mf g4 g4) (q a4 mf a4 a4))

(gen-repeat 3 '((q c4 g4) (s c4 a4)))
=> ((q c4 mf g4) (s c4 mf a4) (q c4 mf g4)
    (s c4 mf a4) (q c4 mf g4) (s c4 mf a4))

(gen-repeat '(3) '((q c4 e g4) (s c4 a4) (e b4 d5 q fs5)))
=> ((q c4 mf e g4 q c4 e g4 q c4 e g4)
    (s c4 mf a4 c4 a4 c4 a4)
    (e b4 mf d5 q fs5 e b4 d5 q fs5 e b4 d5 q fs5))

(gen-repeat '(3 2) '((q c4 g4) (s c4 a4) (e b4 d5)))
=> ((q c4 mf g4 c4 g4 c4 g4) (s c4 mf a4 c4 a4) (e b4 mf d5 b4 d5 b4 d5))

GEN-REPEAT-SEQ
(gen-repeat-seq 8 1 3 '(q c4 mf e cs4 s d4 s ds4))
=> (q c4 mf e cs4 cs4 cs4 s d4 d4 d4 ds4)

(gen-repeat-seq
 '(5 2 7 1) 1 2
 '((q c4d4e4f4 p) (s c4 mp fs4)
   (e c4d4e4f4 f) (e c4 fs4 =) (e c4d4e4f4 p)))

=> ((q c4d4e4f4 p c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4)
    (s c4 mp fs4)
    (e c4d4e4f4 f c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4)
    (e c4 f)
    (e c4d4e4f4 p c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4 c4d4e4f4))

SB.

Dear Stephane,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback. I remember very well how much you stress the importance of do-timeline. I will also look very carefully at gen-divide and the other examples you mentioned. 

I sometimes think I need to make my own "headings" inside of Opusmodus with my own explanation for some of the techniques and how they can be applied to my idea of composition. Sometimes, those "headings" I use would change depending on the style I'm trying to compose, too. I guess maybe this is the deeper level of something powerful like Opusmodus: we have so many flexible tools that can do so many things, yet we need to be creative in finding new ways to use those tools to create interesting results.

I also need to learn more about the different generative techniques I'm not familiar with personally such as the Rubin Series and the Nørgård Series. It's really fascinating that they are included in Opusmodus, and I guess I need to explore them more. I also want to see if I can use Ircam's AudioSculpt well with Opusmodus instead of Spear.  I wonder if there are any benefits of one over the other. I'm just looking into Tristan Murail's process (he used AudioSculpt and OpenMusic), and trying to replicate it in Opusmodus. 

I hope to start thinking more carefully about these issues so that I can make better use of Opusmodus.

• 2 weeks later...

> I sometimes think I need to make my own "headings" inside of Opusmodus with my own explanation for some of the techniques and how they can be applied to my idea of composition.

I simply created my own collections in files like "interesting-functions-rhythm.opmo", "interesting-functions-pitch.opmo" etc. Just added some of Stephane's suggestions -- thanks for that :)

Torsten