Use a database, or wrong thinking?

I'm ok (not great) with music and algorithms, but I know *nothing* about Lisp, so please excuse me if I'm completely off base...

I'd like to set up a system where I can tag parts of midi files and then use random weights to create new pieces that are similar to the source material. For example, I'd like to create a new melody from the openings of three different pieces where each of the source motifs are tagged with something like "dark" "rhythmic" "complex"

In my day job the way I'd do this is to have all the motifs, melodies, basslines, chord progressions, descriptive tags, etc. stored in a database, and I'd run a query: "SELECT * from motifs WHERE tag LIKE 'dark' LIMIT 3. And then I'd basically use random numbers to select which of the resultant notes would play and when. I'd then rate the result, and if it's good enough INSERT it back in to the database to provide a new generation of material

So my question is, would I need a database in OpusModus, or is there a "Lispy-way" to do this kind of genetic manipulation? If I need a database, any recommendations?

Thanks for your patience!!

Lance

Hi,

you can use all the Opusmodus Library functions  to store and retrieve material like phrases, motives, chords, scales and full part of song you have imported from midi.

In library, you can put this material in sections, named for example: dark, clear, joyful etc... and call this material with rules and structures.

Try the demo version of Opusmodus and have a look to the Library functions and associates.

SB.