def-score :key-signature

Hi,

When should we use the :key-signature option in def-score? Normally, when we define :pitch and :length (or the OMN spec) in def-score instruments, the tonality is fully specified. So what is the need for :key-signature such as (c maj)? In case this option is given, will automatic tonality mapping occur from the given pitches to this scale? 

Regards,

Rangarajan

Thanks. Is it correct to say that this option only affects the notation display and not the actual notes played? I did "Evaluate and Notation" after changing this option a few times and each time I noticed that the notation had the expected key signature rendering, but it did not seem to alter the notes. Request you to confirm this observation.

Regards,

Rangarajan

• 7 months later...

Ah! This answers my question as well. 

Let me further this by asking - if we want to alter the notes rather than just the notation, would key-signature-length be the advised approach?

(key-signature-length '((g maj 8/4) (e maj 6/4))) 

If so, does this apply to the entire score or can it apply to individual instruments?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

the normal way for altering notes is tonality-map.

:key-signature in def score is for the score.

key-signature-length function is not made for altering notes.

also, you can show in score cautionary accidentals or if you prefer all accidentals using in def-score header:

:accidental :cautionary

or

:accidental :all

Stéphane