Manipulating Tie as duration in Dictum

Dear Janusz and Friends,

;; I have a question about dictum and its relation with making revisions, like trying to improve the scores for better readability for real musicians. I will demonstrate with a kind of notation I use a lot in my writing. Let´s start with a motif spread through some bars.

(setf time-signatures '((2 4 1) (2 4 1) (4 4 1) (2 4 1)))

(omn-to-time-signature (gen-repeat 5 '(-e cs6 stacc h. c6 p<f>p long -q)) time-signatures)

;; I use the notation below (the omn result from the expression above) just to keep track of what I´m doing but...

((-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long) (h c6) (-q -e cs6 mf stacc h c6 p<f>p tie+long) (q c6 -) (-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long) (h c6) (-q -e cs6 mf stacc) (h c6 p<f>p tie+long) (q c6 -) (-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long) (h c6) (-q))

image.png.00dcc1f2ce3084e735cd1b86ee9ea4bf.png

;; for the final writing, I have to rewrite it again in this way, in order to be correctly read and played 

((-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p< tie+long) (q f> tie q p) (-q -e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p< tie+long q f> tie) (q c6 p -) (-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p< tie+long) (q c6 f> tie q p) (-q -e cs6 mf stacc) (q c6 p< tie q f> tie+long) (q c6 p -) (-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p< tie+long) (q c6 f> tie q p) (-q))

image.png.1ecf8d581f2b8619ce725ce25ea84eae.png

;; But, since there are many different ways to express the same length situation, it´s difficult to find a condition to put in the dictum expression to make the substitutions. Doing manually is painful both in Opusmodus or in the notation software. It´s a kind of boring stuff that we have to do as composers.

(omn :length '((-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long) (h c6) (-q -e cs6 mf stacc h c6 p<f>p tie+long) (q c6 -) (-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long) (h c6) (-q -e cs6 mf stacc) (h c6 p<f>p tie+long) (q c6 -) (-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long) (h c6) (-q)))

((-1/8 1/8 1/4) (1/2) (-1/4 -1/8 1/8 1/2) (1/4 -1/4) (-1/8 1/8 1/4) (1/2) (-1/4 -1/8 1/8) (1/2) (1/4 -1/4) (-1/8 1/8 1/4) (1/2) (-1/4))

;;when extracting the length information from the omn phrase, the tie is not present as length. And in this case, maybe a good idea would be to have a kind of "tie2" attribute, only for the cases where the tie is functioning as a duration, and not as an expressive or articulation tie. I think the the tie as a duration should be translated in length value, because essentially this is the meaning of the tie when connecting the same two notes. 

;; As the number of notes is altered when using the tie, the distribute-stream processes are also altered. We have to make the manual adjustments and also calculate the new streams of notes considering the repetitions of notes that must occur in the case of durational ties.

;; So, that is my questions concerning the power of Dictum to make revision that could be useful to prepare a score for a definitive and readable form.

Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions.

All the best !

Julio

What about adding a new keyword :merge-ties (default t):

(omn-to-time-signature
 '((-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long)
   (h c6)
   (-q -e cs6 mf stacc h c6 p<f>p tie+long)
   (q c6 -)
   (-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long)
   (h c6) 
   (-q -e cs6 mf stacc) 
   (h c6 p<f>p tie+long)
   (q c6 -) 
   (h c6)
   (-q))
 '((2 4 2) (4 4 1) (2 4 8) (1 4 1)) :merge-ties nil)

merge-ties-nil.png

(omn-to-time-signature
 '((-e cs6 mf stacc q c6 p<f>p tie+long)
   (h c6)
   (-q -e cs6 mf stacc h c6 p<f>p tie+long)
   (q c6 -) 
   (h c6) 
   (-q -e cs6 mf stacc) 
   (h c6 p<f>p tie+long)
   (q c6 -) 
   (h c6)
   (-q))
 '(4 4) :merge-ties nil)

image.png

Thanks a lot, Janusz

This is a good solution to the note values. But I also have to redistribute the dynamics, like p < f > p, alongside the notes. Maybe a distribute stream of the velocity only ? 

It looks good, but I got an error here

> Error: Too many arguments in call to #<Compiled-function omn-to-time-signature #x30000136862F>:
>        4 arguments provided, at most 2 accepted. 
> While executing: omn-to-time-signature, in process Listener-1(7).
> Type cmd-. to abort, cmd-\ for a list of available restarts.
> Type :? for other options.
10 > 

It´s already implemented ? Or this is for the next release ?

Best,

Julio

• 9 months later...

Dear All,

Still trying to deal with this...

Help is appreciated. Thanks

;;; Question How to use DICTUM to filter the use of omn-to-time-signature ?

;;; MAterial

(setf vl1 '((-s) (e. gs4 s as4 h. e4 tie) (h e4 d4 tie) (q d4 e ds4 s fs4 hs b4 tie) (h b4 s gs4 g4 a4 qs c5 tie) (q c5 s as4 e a4 cs4 e. d4 d4 s) (w g4 tie) (q g4 h. d5) (e b4 s g4 h.s f4 tie) (q f4 s ds4 e4 f4 hs fs4) (s c5 e as4 ds5 e. cs5 fs4 s g4 q fs4 tie) (w fs4) (h. g4 e gs4 s a4 d5 tie) (w d5) (s b4 g4 a4 hs s gs4 e as4 s e4 tie) (s e4 e. d4 ds4 s fs4 h b4 tie) (h. b4 q gs4 tie) (h gs4 e g4 s a4 qs c5 tie) (h. c5 s as4 a4 cs4 d4 tie) (h d4 s e e g4 e. d5))) 

;;; Filter works rigth in this example: pitch transposing only long notes

(dictum '((:range (h w.) :apply (pitch-transpose -24 x))
)
vl1)

;;; I´d like to aply this merge-ties nil only to the longer notes, not in the entire example. Can I use DICTUM as a filter to apply only in longer notes ?

(omn-to-time-signature
vl1 
 '((2 4 2) (4 4 1) (2 4 8) (1 4 1)) :merge-ties nil)

;;; HOW ???
;;; This won´t work... What I missed ?

(dictum '(:range (h w.) :apply (omn-to-time-signature
vl1 
 '((2 4 2) (4 4 1) (2 4 8) (1 4 1)) :merge-ties nil)))

There is no documentation for :merge-ties as it simply refers to the type of tie utilized and does not have any impact on notation.

(setf omn
      '(h c7 p eb6 mp p - c7 q e6 - h_e g6 e mf
        bb5 mp -h.. q bb6 p -h. q. d6 e c4 -h..
        q bb3 mf e g6 mp h_e e6 -h e g5 h a6
        -e = h bb4 e6 p q bb6 mp e6 e g3 g6 p
        q. g3 e bb3 bb6 mp q g6 pp e c7 mp eb4 p))

(omn-to-time-signature omn '(4 4) :merge-ties t)
(omn-to-time-signature omn '(4 4) :merge-ties nil)

Thanks, Janusz

There is a lot of impact of using this in the notation indeed, specially when editing for the publishing work. The example provided in the beginning of this post is about this.

I´ll try to make a function or use search/replace  in order to do this .