Windows Port?

1 hour ago, Pli said:

the OS ran so slow as to be almost unusable, perhaps I did something wrong.

With virtual machines, you should have a dedicated SSD for the disk image, if you want to get a smooth experience. And enable CPU virtualization.

Great to know a Windows version is coming, can't wait.

Who knows, maybe we're going to get a christmas present? 😃

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 6:17 PM, opmo said:

Perfect time for it 🙂

I'm trying the demo.

Evaluating just about anything throws:

Error: Undefined operator e. in form (e. a4 mordent2 s g5 ...
and 6 options debugging list etcetera

And I'm uncertain if that's intended because it's just a bunch of notes so there's nothing to evaluate ?

I see. There doesn't seem to be an explanation about this in any of the documentation files I've checked. Which is an otherwise well-structured documentation though.

Is there a brief introduction to the LISP syntax somewhere, or for LISP-specific things should I just Google.

I'm personally going to buy the software 100%, but I've noticed that in a virtual machine you can easily "reset" the virtual machine and you will get another 30 days lol 😅

You probably want to at least disable musicXML exporting in the demo, like not even having the related fucntion code in the binary. That would be enough to have at least a minimal amount of crack-protection.
Just a suggestion.

5 hours ago, opmo said:

your machine

"Your machine" doesn't mean anything if it's a virtual machine. Yes, it does chek the internet, but if you disable the internet (actually even if you don't, probably) and you restore an old copy of the virtual machine (with Opusmodus already installed), it lets you use the software anyway, with whatever days it had before. Without an internet connection, I shouldn't be able to use the demo at all, and I shouldn't be able to have all the features (e.g. Pianoteq disables some keys in the trial). I understand that people are cracking software anyway all the time, I just find it funny that it can be unintentionally done via a virtual machine, lol.

If you want to learn how to do a piece in less than one year 🙂 with Opusmodus, I recommend my Online course:

WWW.COMPOSERWORKSHOP.COM

This course is an introduction to Opusmodus, going from interface discovery to music composition using the powerful functions of this incredible music composition environment. <h3>Who this course is for</h3> This course is for people who want to learn algorithmic music composition and generative music techniques. No prior programming experience needed but basic knowledge of music is recommended for...

Best !

Stéphane

This post is about Windows Port?

Sorry, if you want I can open other threads for my questions. Just didn't want to pollute the forum with beginner questions.

Color can be set in the Settings...

It can be set for the various TEXTUAL things.
But the background, which you change with right-click + select "Background color..." is not remembered when you restart.

Or maybe it's a macOS-specific thing that has nothing to do with Opusmodus?
I simply wanted a more darker-themed GUI.

Another question I have, is how is the Windows version going to support exchanging MIDI data between programs, so you can play Pianoteq for example. With Mac I figured out how to setup MIDI ports, but in Windows for things like this you usually need to use additional software like loopMIDI. I'm curious how that will be done.

By the way, on Mac I've been able to figure it out myself, but I suggest making a page in the documentation that explains how to setup MIDI ports. One might try to change OMN code with no result, when what needs to be done is to use the quite hidden "MIDI Studio" tool in macOS, and the OMN code is really just:

:channel 1
:port 0

Not every beginner may figure this out.

And it should also be mentioned that you have to change the port in the settings, because the default is "Internal".

On 9/6/2017 at 5:43 PM, auedpo said:

Hello,

Just checking up on this topic. I have been following Opusmodus since its early days of release and have been eagerly awaiting being able to purchase a windows license.

Yes, the program works on VMWare, but it is not as smooth as it could be with all the steps involved in getting it running each time.

Any response on if this is still in the works? I know the original reply was 2016/2017, has this been derailed totally or is it still happening?

Thanks! 

Just checking in, oh, five years later to see how this is looking! I am certainly hopeful for a windows version - once and for all! I have spent most of my time working on ideas in OpenMusic and actually just managed to dig up and activate my old copy of SCOM... RIP Nigel Morgan who mentored and coached me in it. I often think of the exchanges we had - he was a most excellent man.

Anyway, it would be excellent to finally run opmo on my windows machine. Maybe it finally is time to give that VM a proper go. 😉 

On 2/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, Stephane Boussuge said:

The windows version is coming soon.

And yes, Nigel Morgan was a most excellent man, I agree totally.

SB.

On 2/13/2023 at 12:32 PM, opmo said:

You don't need the VM, the Windows version is almost there.

Much appreciated, gentlemen! Thank you very much. 🙂