Apple M1 Arm processor?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"All to plan."

In the interest of those of us who have been waiting on this for quite some time now, would you care to elucidate and expand on this? Will there be a beta period, for example? Will we have to pay for another license or is this a freebie for existing customers? Is there an actual release date you are working towards?

That kind of thing...

The purpose of the forum is not about announcements - which are happening if something is to be announced - but a space for OM users to exchange ideas and get support.

OM on a not supported system (M1) will crash, this too was addressed in our forum.

As for the release of the ver. 3.0 this was answers already few months ago. Please see above.

Anyway, the development (port) is going well and October is still our date.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@opmo back to question,

so screenshots and video are simply enough, such that nobody of user community is joining a beta testing programme? Being a coder myself, hard to believe that switching to a whole a new environment is not exposing risk for bugs.

Is Oct release for a beta (no production use) or will it be a release candidate for productive use?

10 hours ago, Cliff said:

Is Oct release for a beta (no production use) or will it be a release candidate for productive use?

After lots of experience of software delivery as well, I also have concerns about the way they are going through this rebase. Certainly there has been no public discussion beyond this thread that I can tell, so I suspect we will get, at best, a beta release, likely alpha. Of course one of the benefits of using CL is that the code base should be pretty portable, apart from the UI. There may be some custom CCL tweaks but LispWorks is a very fine platform and I expect good things.

My big concern is business-side. My fear is that we will have to pay for the "upgrade," act as beta-testers, then continue to pay as OM fixes the bugs. I hope not. I hope the devs realise that the rebase gives them a whole new market--Windows users--for them to tap and that showing some love to their loyal customer base might be a great gesture. Guess we'll find out eventually...

Provided, This new version is only a refactoring (without extra user features) intended to cater (far too late) for new Macs, IMHO theres no rationale for extra prices. To provoce: I personally rather see a need for discounts for users willing to wait for more than a year of unfullfiled needs to use the software on modern Macs. Other software manufacturers were faster.