Apple M1 Arm processor?

Hello forum,

I have updated my MacBook Pro 2011 to a new Mac mini with M1 (2020) Arm processor running macOS Big Sur 11.1.

I haven't found any info on Apple M1 searching the forum (so sorry if it has been addressed) but.. will OpusModus support this? I have OpusModus 2.1.3 version that will open in Rosetta 2, but it crashes all the time when evaluating a score. Playing the midi samples from QuickStart works fine it seems.

Thanks,

All the best Snorre (totall newbie and first post)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am in the same situation as Olo, I have just invested in a MacBook Pro 13 M1 and big disappointment Opusmodus does not run on this MBP. What causes me problem, some musician friends wanted me to show them how we worked with OPMO.
Concretely, with the MBP M1 the menu window opens, you can create a workspace file but once created it is not displayed. Likewise, when you select "Opusmodus" / "Register" in the menu, no window is displayed.

Note: Open Music 6.19 works fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I share the frustration with my new Mac mini. Crashing all the time. Even when it didn't crash the processing time also seemed longer than reasonable. And it's not just OpusModus. I guess the takeaway is don't upgrade to M1 yet. It is too different and no matter how great the chip itself is, with everything else still ruled by the Intel it's just too hard to work with. 

But still, this has to be solved, please. 

• 1 month later...

Thats a release from Apr 20, 2020. Am I missing anything?

ccl
GITHUB.COM

This is Clozure CL 1.12. There are two steps to obtain this release. First, obtain the source code for CCL by cloning the repository (with git clone https://github.com/Clozure/ccl.git), or by down...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 4:53 PM, opmo said:

CCL is not ready for M1, hopefully soon.

When reading through the CCL issues log, there is this wee gem dated 10 Feb 2021:

CCL expects floating point exceptions to be raised when appropriate to properly implement Lisp's arithmetic functions. Rosetta does not raise floating point exceptions. While you might think this would only affect floating point operations in Lisp, it in fact also affects rational arithmetic and, possibly, bignums. (If you run the ANSI test suite, you get a large number of failures in its arithmetic tests.)

We've reported this issue to Apple but, so far, there's been no response.

I suspect those of us who jumped to an M1 are in for a long wait. I don't suppose there is a Plan B, is there (besides having a second, Intel-based, machine)?

(reference CCL issue 356)

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this information will be helpful for those who are also trapped with M1 or for future debugging, but I found a rather consistent pattern of crashing and potentially a way to avoid it:

Opusmodus on M1 always crash during threading. 

So be patient. Wait until the interpreter finishes its job and then execute the next block of code. This also applies to any manipulations on the GUI, like saving files, function search, etc.

I know it sucks. But to make it suck less..

A side note. Earlier this year I helped upgrading a bunch of Python apps for M1, which also had issues of intermittent crash and it turned out the problem was also with threads. In that case the issue was solved when some problematic lines of code were removed (calling certain parent class methods during threading).

• 3 weeks later...

It is frustrating that this is still an issue after almost year. Sadly, this is what happens when a company decides to build a product on a platform that they are unable to support and which has no commercial support behind it. This is the case with Clozure CL. I truly love OpusModus and it saddens me greatly that I am unable to to run it on my latest Apple hardware. I am also a software developer and have a small music software company. To offer a counter-point, I also have a Lisp-based product that uses a different platform, LispWorks. When I ran my software on my new MacBook Pro (M1 Max CPU) there was an issue. I reported the issue to LispWorks and received a fix within 24 hours.

I don't want to question the motivations behind OpusModus using Clozure CL; I am sure they had a good reason to do so at the time. The sad reality now is that I have spent $520 on a product that isn't going to work in the foreseeable future. OpusModus is unable to to fix their product and the Clozure CL team is blaming Apple and is not motivated to create a fix. I am a former Apple engineer and can tell you that LispWorks and other Lisp projects have been able to get their runtimes working with Rosetta2 or even create native ARM builds. This is entirely a problem with the Clozure CL code base and it is unacceptable to have people pass blame to one another. It is unprofessional to sell a product and then say "Hopefully a fix will be coming soon." Once again, this is pure speculation, as there is no one actively trying to fix the issue. Clozure CL is simply hoping that Apple will make an exception to how their system code behaves. Even if this issue is solved, be aware that OpusModus will still be running using Rosetta2 emulation. I have my doubts that Clozure CL will be able to generate native binaries for the M1 processor.

This comment sounds very negative and I am sorry about that. Once again, I love OpusModus and I totally understand the difficulties of being a music software developer. It is a very difficult position to be in. When I evaluated Lisp implementations for my product recently, I removed Clozure CL from consideration for the very reason we as users of OpusModus are now experiencing; there is no responsible entity supporting Clozure CL. You cannot rely on them to address issues unless those issues align with their motivations. They don't seem strongly motivated to support Clozure CL and if you look at their Github issues, many issues remain ignored.

If OpusModus was my product, I would begin moving the code base over to a reliable commercial provider of Lisp. My personal suggestion would be LispWorks. I would even help do the work for free, just so I could use OpusModus again. As it stands now, the future of OpusModus running on modern Mac hardware seems bleak.

• 4 months later...

Opusmodus it's unusable in my brand new Mac now, like many of us here. It has been more than a year of the M1 being available. Also, with the announcements from Apple, it's the time for you to provide a clear path for a solution. A program as expensive as Opusmodus should be based and relying on solid platforms, which sadly CCL is not. Please provide us a timeline for this. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit to being rather disappointed by this thread. Given the price of this software I would have expected more concern from the developers to the comments here. OM is, and always has been (?), a product tied to the Apple platform and I would have expected a touch more responsiveness to a major system change like the Apple Silicon move. I also suspect that we, the current users who can no longer use the OM software, will be required to "upgrade" to the new platform. This will clearly be a wait-and-see don't-hold-your-breath situation where we remain in the dark until an announcement is made. Not the best way, in my experience, of keeping a customer base positively engaged

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
In my region, following a creation "Le Rossignol et l'Empereur de Chine, baroque flute and computer music," and several themes of which were created with Opumodus, I was asked to lead several workshops around Computer Aided Composition (CAO), and in particular in music schools. I would have liked to present Opusmodus, to show that it is an excellent tool for a music teaching structure, that it allows you to compose thanks to its powerful score editor, to perform the classic operations transpose, inversion, retrograde , mirror, P I R RI matrix calculation, create algorithmic scripts, etc. In short, it's an excellent tool for creating and understanding today's music. Well I can't because OMPO does not play on a MackBook Pro M1. And suddenly, I went back to Open Music from Ircam which was running with Rosetta but which was recently updated with its version 7 and optimized for the M1.
Best regards.

Bonjour,
Dans ma région, suite à une création "Le Rossignol et l'Empereur de Chine, flûte baroque et Informatique musicale," et dont plusieurs thèmes ont été créés avec Opumodus, on me demande d'animer plusieurs ateliers autour de la Composition Assistée par Ordinateur (CAO), et notamment dans des écoles de Musique. J'aurais bien aimé présenter Opusmodus, montrer que c'est un excellent outil pour une structure 'enseignement de la musique, qu'il permet de composer grâce à son puissant éditeur de partitions, d'effectuer les opérations classiques transposition, inversion, rétrograde, miroir, calcul de matrice P I R RI, créer des scripts algorithmique, etc. Bref, que c'est un excellent outil pour créer et comprendre  la musique d'aujourd'hui. Et bien je ne peux pas car OMPO ne toune pas sur un MackBook Pro M1. Et bien du coup, je me suis remis à Open Music de l'Ircam qui lui tournait avec Rosetta mais qui a été récemment mis à jour avec sa version 7 et optimisé pour le M1
Amicalement. 

• 4 weeks later...