Adding support for half pedalling -- pedal release not yet working properly

I am trying to add a new text attribute for half pedalling (later in my scoring application Dorico I can translate that into the proper pedalling notation) and then specify for playback the MIDI CC messages it would need to send (e.g., the new attribute half-pedal sets the damper-pedal CC set to 64). Naively, a simple solution seems to be to complement this half pedalling with a text attribute for releasing the pedal (rel-pedal sets damper-pedal to 0) as shown below. So, I added the following to my pianoteq sound set (besides defining these text attributes).

:group omn
	  full-pedal (Ped 127)
	  half-pedal (Ped 64)
	  rel-pedal (Ped 0)

This is partially already working: all these attributes by themselves work as intended. For example, the following works as intended. And sonically with Pianoteq the difference between half and full pedalling is very clear, so this would really be nice to have 🙂 

'(q c4 half-pedal e4 g4 c5 g4 full-pedal e4 c4)

However, besides the fact that this is inconsistent with the use of ped, ped1 and friends, it also does not work fully: releasing the pedal is tricky with this approach. The following two examples do not work as intended. In the first, the requested pedal release is quasi ignored (the change possibly happens to quickly for making a difference) and in the 2nd example, releasing the pedal adds a further unintended note (as rests cannot have user text attributes).

'(q c4 half-pedal e4 g4 c5 g4 rel-pedal+full-pedal e4 c4)

'(q c4 half-pedal e4 g4 c5 -q rel-pedal)

Also, ideally, the new attributes would be consistent in its use with the existing ones, so we would need half-pedal

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot! 

This need to be done is OM and musicxml level. Simply adding them to the user attribute list won't work.

The ped and ped1 attributes are working. I will add the missing pedals, half-pedsost-ped and una-corda soon after we make the display working.

Thanks a lot! 

Brief question just to clarify: the MIDI output of the existing ped and ped1 attributes cannot be defined with def-sound-set? 

Confirmation: The MIDI output of sost-ped and una-corda is working as well.

For completeness, harm-ped (available for Pianoteq) is not. One of the reasons is that at least with Pianoteq 6 it should use CC 69 instead of CC 68 as specified in the pianoteq sound set, but that is not the only reason (seemingly the relevant text attribute is not even existing. Anyway, that is an only rarely used technique and available on only few real pianos, so this is perhaps less of an issue.  

Yes, I can specify that the attribute sends some MIDI messages like key switches or CC messages at the moment when the event with the attribute starts.

However, for defining an attribute like ped1 I need to additionally specify a MIDI message to be send at the end of the note in question. And for defining an attribute ped I would need to be able to specify the following behaviour. 

;; Pedal depressed for exactly two notes
'(q c4 ped e4 g4 c5)

;; Pedal depressed for the whole phrase
'((ped q c4 e4 g4 c5))

> You can define any attributes with DEF-SOUND-SET.

Can I define with def-sound-set an attribute like ped1 where a MIDI message is send at the beginning and another message is send at the end of a note? 

Can I define an attribute like ped with the behaviour shown above?

If that would be possible, that would be great, then I can define things like half-pedal1 myself 🙂 Currently, I don't know how I could do that. 

For me personally the export to MusicXML and the proper notation of pedalling lines is less important. I can later translate a textual notation inserted by Opusmodus by hand into the proper notation with a scoring application. Here is an example of what Dorico can do in that regard and I don't need Opusmodus to be able to control such graphical detail as well, I will need to revise it manually anyway 🙂  https://steinberg.help/dorico/v1/en/dorico/topics/notation_reference/notation_reference_pedal_lines_piano_retakes_changes_c.html

However, being able to control the pedalling MIDI output from Opusmodus during the composition process would be nice 🙂