Is there perhaps any way to switch off all those trace prints created by very many Opusmodus functions.  Here is an example: I want to get rid of printout(s) before the actual result.

OM> (pitch-transpose 2 '(q c4))
pitch-transpose, transpose: 2 ambitus: PIANO section: NIL exclude: NIL
(Q D4)

These constant traces are problematic for me, because in all those prints I very easily miss printouts that are particularly important (e.g., warnings from some functions). 

I am aware of the Opusmodus function do-verbose. I would very much like to avoid adding do-verbose to my own functions.

On the contrary, I am asking for a way to globally switch off what do-verbose does in other functions, e.g., by some global variable. That should be easy to implement (e.g., in the definition of do-verbose, if that global variable is set to NIL, no printing happens). 

Besides, if I really want some trace of function calls, this is actually already build-in into Common Lisp in a way that can be switched on and off selectively for any function with trace.

BTW: The example shown at HyperSpec (http://clhs.lisp.se/Body/m_tracec.htm) does not quite work as expected in CCL, because CCL cleverly inlines all the recursive calls, but that can also be switched off (see https://trac.clozure.com/ccl/wiki/DebugWithOpenmcl). Besides, CCL offers also an extended version of trace (https://ccl.clozure.com/manual/chapter4.2.html). Further, I usually need traces during debugging, and Common Lisp IDEs usually provide even interactive backtraces (e.g., not only the arguments of functions, but also values of local variables within the lexical scope of functions can be seen, changed, and used in arbitrary test evaluations). I guess that such facilities have been purposefully disabled in Opusmodus, because such power can initially confuse new users.

EDIT: basically, what I want to do is ensure that the internal function %do-verbose does not do anything if it is switched off, like so. 

(defparameter *do-verbose?* T "Enable or disable traces printed by do-verbose.")

(defun %do-verbose (<args>)
  (when *do-verbose?*
    <put-orig-def-here>))

I cannot add this definition myself because I do not have the original code of this definition, and because the definition of this function is protected and cannot easily be overwritten by users.

I should perhaps add that I appreciate that the do-verbose traces can be useful for getting the seed of some function call for "freezing" some result one might like. However, for me this usefulness still does not mean this feature should be switched on all the time. 

Thanks!