Sign in to follow this  
torstenanders

Playback of articulations

It would be useful for playback, if certain articulations would affect the sounding note durations and velocity values. With some articulations this already seems to be the case (e.g., stacc seems to reduce note durations by 50%), while other articulations are ignored during playback in that regard (e.g., leg is notated, but makes seemingly no difference in playback -- notes played legato are not overlapping, as would be expected, nor are non-legato notes very slightly separated). Other articulations are seemingly even wrongly set (e.g., marc is an accent, but it instead shortens the note).

Here is a little example demonstrating the problem, which results in the attached MIDI file.

EDIT: The upload failed, but you can easily listening to this or export it to MIDI yourself.

'((e c4 leg d4 e4 leg f4) (q g4 marc -q -h))

Can users somewhere set/correct these playback settings?

BTW: Ideally settings would allow for code (functions) evaluationed on the fly. That would allow, e.g., to add custom humanisation, e.g., to slightly vary the length of staccato articuations, or the velocity values set by non-legato notes.... 

Thanks!

Best,

Torsten

i agree totally :-)

Actually, i always finish my scores in a DAW for such reason but with this new possibilities into Opusmodus, it would be no more necessary and i love the idea to stay in Opusmodus from start to end of the music process.

SB.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• By torstenanders
      What is the Lisp function for stopping playback (bound to the shortcut cmd-esc)? 

... I could never add a custom keyboard shortcut to the Opusmodus text editor Hemlock (and I tried), but I just managed adding keyboard shortcuts and a menu for playing Opusmodus snippets and my polyphonic score format to Emacs (thanks to the fact that scores now can be displayed in a separate window). Only need some key for stopping playback as well.

(The main thing I will then miss when using Emacs as the Opusmodus IDE is the close integration of the document, but well, you cannot have everything 🙂  On the plus side, I have a more stable editor and in particular a very good debugger.)

Thanks! 

Torsten
    • By torstenanders
      Some attributes are sticky (they do not need to be repeated to maintain being set, and when they are repeated they are not shown again in the score) -- while others are not. For example, the articulation pizz is sticky, while stacc is not.

It seems that add-text-attributes declares only sticky attributes. Is it perhaps possible to also have custom non-sticky attributes? For example, want to annotate  certain motif or phrase names, and if I repeat the same motif the text label is not shown again.

Just in case this is already possible...

Thank you! 

Best,
      Torsten
    • By JulioHerrlein
      Dear Friends,

Very basic question:

I use some old VSL sample .gig files with gplayer.
      I really like this libraries and the way it sounds.
      The combination patches alternate sounds via keyswitches in the lower range of keyboard (or the upper range in some instruments).
      Something like:
      C normal sound
      C# pizz
      D marcato etc

Can I use this keyswitches in the OMN lingo, without having to send the midi note itself to activate the keyswitch, something like:

(marcato e c4 d4 s legato fs4 g4 cs5 eb5 )

Opusmodus will send the keyswitches as a hidden midi note in the expression ?

All the best,
      Julio